As part of our work today, I learned how to slash. We will be planting maize in the fields and so the first task is clearing the field of the 4 ft weeds that are currently calling that land their home.
Let me first say...slashing is HARD work!
What is it you may ask??
Well...basically, you get a huge knife with a handle...it kind of looks like it could be a machette but it is bent on the end kind of like a golf club and you swing it back and forth to cut away all the grass. I did it for about 30 minutes and I was EXHAUSTED! I walked away not only sweaty but with 2 new blisters as well.
I have decided a few things based on this new experience...
- If Ugandans played baseball or golf...they would be AMAZING at it...just based on the skills they possess swinging around the slashers!
- Ugandans have stamina that I have NEVER had
- Ugandans are WAY stronger than I am...arms and backs!
- God wasnt kidding when he told Adam he would eat of the land through painful toil and the sweat of his brow (Gen 3:17-19)
- Weed wackers were an amazing invention, even if they do clog up every few ft!
- We should be thankful for all the hard work that goes into preparing all those foods that we take for granted...
So for now...I will retreat as a tired, sore, and newly blistered muzungu...
Keep tuned for more of my adventures in Uganda as the days and weeks stretch on!