Have you ever had an ah-ha moment where you know without a doubt that God wants you to do something?? Being that I am generally stubborn God did an equivalent of a finger poke for the last few years and I knew in the back of my mind that was what I had to do BUT when I didn't pay attention to it he basically had to smack me upside my head...
It was through the story of the rich young ruler... You may know it, you may not but basically... The rich young ruler wanted to follow Jesus so he went up and asked him...Jesus told him to sell all he had and follow him. The young man, being rich was sad by this, loving his stuff more than Jesus, he turned away and went back home saddened. Jesus goes on to say that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the rich to inherit the kingdom of God. God laid it out clear as day during my devotion time and hit me with the realization that I have two choices:
1. Follow God and His leading to Africa OR
2. Turn away from God and follow my pursuit of worldly happiness by staying here
The choice for me is clear: Me or God and well, I HAVE to chose God, no IFs, ANDs or BUTs.
Since I have chosen to follow Him in this leading He has been faithful to work EVERYTHING out for GOOD!
Here's whats happened so far:
- By God's grace my boss allowed me to start my 8 week vacation in the fall 2 1/2 weeks early...She could have said that I already had 8 weeks and said too bad but she didn't...Thank you GOD!
- I was accepted into NMSI's training program and am ready to go in the fall, plane ticket and all...Thank you GOD!
- Friends of mine out of the blue said I could rent my place now and stay with them to save up some money...Thank you GOD!
- I wasn't sure what to do with my furniture so I was mentioning to different people that they could 'borrow' a piece here or there if they needed so I didn't have to pay to store it. Two friends of mine just got married a two weeks ago and they need furniture...Out of the blue they said they wanted to help me out by supporting me financially...they offered the exact amount of money I need to pay my furniture bill every month!...Thank you God!
- A friend of mine from my childhood church is a deaconess on their board...when she heard about my trip she got together with the missions board and they will be reviewing my plans and will be considering supporting me financially...Thank you God!
- I have had two friends volunteer to watch over the rental stuff when I am out of the country so I do not need to spend any money hiring a rental management company...Thank you God!
- I had a friend express interest in helping me relocate to Africa by flying with me and taking stuff out...Thank you God!
- I have missionary friends already in Uganda who said I could stay with them for awhile if I don't find a place right away...Thank you God!
- I joined a community group that just so happened to be studying a book called "Don't Waste Your Life"...which discusses the exact issues that I am being faced with right now in my preparations to move...Thank you God!
- I also joined an Africa bible study who started reading a book called "serving as senders" and I am having the opportunity to learn about missions work (i.e. what awaits me when I am there, when I return, and how my friends here can help me) - It's info that is so critical to my understand of what I will be experiencing in the months and years to come...Thank you God!
Isn't it amazing how God answers prayers when you are walking in His footsteps!! I am so encouraged by the last two months and can't wait to see what God will do next...
Here are some continued prayer requests:
- Finding a reliable renter for my condo
- Completing necessary missions applications and interviews so I can have Cornerstone be my sending church.
- Finding the right "job" in Africa
- All the lose ends: Raising financial support for the trainings and for my monthly expenses once in Africa, Raising up prayer partners, obtaining a non-paid leave from work, housing in Africa, obtaining a Visa, and Wisdom in decision making.
- Continued strength and the wisdom on how to speak to non-Christians who don't understand why I have to go (especially for close friends and family members who are trying to talk me out of it)
When I think about the task before me this next year I am so glad that God has promised in His word not to give me more than I can handle! I never thought I could handle something this huge but God has, and will continue to help me EVERY step of the way...whether I am walking alongside with Him or He is carrying me through!!
THANK YOU GOD!