Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Nile Spot

Looking for a Ugandan Restaurant in the middle of an industrial area in Van Nuys was a little sketchy to say the least.

I was the first one to arrive and thought I was lost! The address was home to a small, no window corner bar with a sign above the door reading: "Azules Bar"....not "The Nile Spot" which was what I was told the place was called.

It was recommended by a friend of a friend of a friend...and was said to be a place with good food and not so good service. Being adventurous we decided to give it a try anyway...

I called my friend and asked him to verify the address...apparently I was in the right spot.

Naturally, I decided to wait for more people to show up before walking into the dimly lit door...not sure what to expect but still a little unsure based on what I know about van nuys...

Sure enough, when we all walked in together there was African art and TVs playing Ugandan music videos...we were in the right place.



We moved every table they had into the center of the room to fit our group of 17 people.




There were no menus involved or even ordering for the most part. The Ugandan owner just said he would give us a feast and that he did!
We had matoke (boiled bananas), posho (corn flour mixture), beef, goat, chicken, rice, beans with geet, peas, spinach, potatoes, casava, mango juice, passionfruit juice, peanut sauce, and Uganda's own Bell beer. It was family style with all of us passing around plates and people reaching over other people to grab stuff. It was great..."plate licking" great!




In true Ugandan style we sat around there, ate and talked for about 2 1/2 hours...we weren't on rushed California time there...it was kind of like stepping into Africa for the afternoon...Before I leave for my new home, I am sure I will take more people there...its like being in Africa without the $2500 plane flight!

While we were there I got the opportunity to sit next to a guy named Saba (also known as Julius) who is a friend of a friend. He was born and raised in Uganda and it turns out his mom owns a restaurant off of Ggaba road which is where I will probably be living when I am in Africa. He is going to give me her contact information so when I am there I can send his greetings and get to know his family.

I love seeing how God works!!!

No comments: