Thursday, August 27, 2009

What did you say???

Apparently I am pretty funny when I speak Lugandan...not because I can only say a few short words and phrases BUT because I cant hear some of the sounds that make up the words...

The problem with that...well...when you have a tonal language and you miss a tone you change the meaning of what you say COMPLETELY!

My too mistakes this week...

Water vs Poop
Moon vs Prostitute
Very much vs the "a" word

Yeah...it was bad...

"Can I have a glass of water?" turned into "Can I have a glass of poop?"

AND

"The moon looks nice tonight" turned into "The prostitute looks nice tonight"

AND

"Thank you very much" turned into "Thanks "a@*" Which is a put down rather than a complement...

Pray for my poor ears and mouth! One that I will hear the difference between the words, but two that I will actually get my tongue to make those sounds!

I sure am glad there is grace here at New Hope!

No comments: