Monday, January 5, 2009

My Florida Quirks...

Okay...it has happened...I have arrived in California from Florida and sound like I am from a foreign land!

A few of my friends have mentioned that I have new sayings that I have never had before and which I have NO idea where or from whom I have acquired them from. Here they are:

1. I use the phrase "come now" and when I did this last night with some friends one of them broke out with the song "come now fount of many blessing..." I know, I know...I wish you could have been there too!

2. I use the phrase "wait for it"...unfortunately people expect great sayings or stories when I tell them to "wait for it" and well... If you know me... I don't usually have grand things to say

3. I use the word "y'all" which can refer to a large group, a small group, an individual, a man, a woman, etc...This one I know I got from Kristy and it makes me think of her each time I am called out for using it so I don't mind it so much =)


Now in addition to my new words and phrases I have also acquired a skill that is DRIVING ME CRAZY! Actually, I don't think it is classified as a skill but more of an annoying habit.

In Florida, many people referred to the main highway through town (highway 41) as the 7-lane highway. Me being from the land of large and wide roads was amused that the largest highway was 7 lanes but I chuckled and made some comments and went on my merry way...

WELL...let me say...that I have been back for two weeks now and I unconsciously started to count the lanes on our streets and freeways...it is driving me crazy!!! Here is what my brain was doing today as I was driving...

Me:
Okay...going to my aunts place...take the 118 to the 210 off at maclay

Brain:
oh...Petit Place (2 lanes)
Balboa Blvd (7 lanes same as 41)
118 freeway (5 lanes each direction...5 x 2 = 10 lanes wider than 41 but ohhh look here it is 6 lanes so that is 12 which is HUGE!!)
210 freeway (5 lanes each...5 x 2 = 10...yep wider than 41)
and off at maclay (ahh back to 2 lanes)...

Do you see how annoying this can be??!! I can't stop myself! I have done this everywhere I have driven since I have been back...the 5, the 118, the 14, the 405, the 101, the side streets to and from my house AND you would think that if I had done it once I wouldn't do it again...NOPE...I think I have been on the 118 at least 5 times since being back and every time both there and back I am counting the lanes in the highway!

So now...someone please help me out...I want to know who I have acquired my new phrases from and how I can make my subconscious stop counting!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hahaha that is so funny Lena!! I love it!!

Now that you are back we should hang out... especially since our friendship officially started just weeks (if that) before you left for Florida! :)

Jen said...

Oh and if it makes you feel better...

This is something that started when I was young and I have NEVER in my life told anyone about this (so feel special!)

I sometimes do this total rain-man thing where I add up the value of a word in my head...

For example:

Lena

L is the 12th letter
E is 5th
N is 14th
A is 1st

12+5+14+1=32

I dunno what that means... maybe we should find a "Counting Anonymous" group? hahahaha

Lena said...

Yes!! Lets hang out!! And by the way...your rain man thing makes me love you soooo much more!! I am so glad we aren't alone in our weird number quirkiness!

Neil and Courtney said...

I love this post! I miss everyone so much---especially YOU. :)

Lena said...

Ahh...I miss you too!!! I think of you everyday as I wear you around my neck :)