Monday, December 22, 2008

The Hope for Deep Dish Shattered

Since I first left for Florida back in October I knew that I would have a 4 hour layover in Chicago on my way back home. I planned it out actually…looking on the internet for an authentic deep dish style pizzeria near the airport. I was enjoying the thought of hopping on a taxi, going for some deep dish and then making it back to O’Hare to catch my flight back to LA…

Well…lets just say the dream was shattered…the first glimmer of dashed hope started around 10:15 am when the “voice” on the airplane said we were preparing to land (naturally I turned off my ipod, returned my seat to its upright position and then waited, and waited, and waited)…when an hour of us “preparing to Land” rolled around and we were circling over a frozen lake I knew my chances of deep dish may be slipping away.

Running 20 minutes behind schedule on our landing didn’t cause me to lose all hope however, but the glimmer of hope started getting dimmer when we then sat on the run way for another 30 minutes with snow mobiles cruising past our window and airport personnel working diligently to keep the plane engines and propellers from freezing over.

The final blow to my deep dish dream came when our plane finally reached the gate and the airline “voice” came on again…

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Chicago, sorry for the wait, The current time is 12:15pm, the current temperature is -5 degrees with a wind chill factor of -30 degrees…if you plan on leaving the airport please use extreme caution and make sure that you have appropriate attire for the weather conditions”

So at this point, naturally, I look down to check what I am wearing…as if I didn’t already know…A scoop neck blouse, a pair of loose fitting jeans and an old navy “jacket” that couldn’t keep you warm in 65 degree weather let alone -30 degree weather.

That was when the dream was officially shattered…and the sad reality of airport dining set in.

Dare I steal a line from the wizard of oz…


Dorothy…I don’t think I'm in Kansas (or…Fort Myers) anymore!

No comments: