Saturday, December 26, 2009

Against All Common Sense....

okay so you know when you are little and your parents tell you that you should never, ever stick anything inside an electrical socket...with the exception of the power cord itself...

If you are like me, you probably didn't listen and stuck keys in the socket anyways...proving your parents' wisdom and your stupidity all at the same time...

So I have been trying to figure out what it is about the electrical sockets here and today I finally figured out what it was that gives me the willies...

Electrical outlets are designed for three prong plugs yet not all of the electrical things here come with 3 prongs...some only have 2...the problem arises when you try to plug the 2 prong plug into the 3 prong socket. You would think it wouldn't be a big deal...but it is...

You see the 3 prong electrical socket comes with a safety feature...you have to have the third prong to release the other two openings in the socket so if you have a 2 prong device you can push and push and the prongs will never go in the socket...

So really the safety feature is good in theory but when you have a 2 socket device the rule of thumb here is to find a key, or pen, or some other thing that you can trick the socket into believing it is the magical third prong...oh yeah!

The only plus...all the sockets have their own on/off switch so when you are sticking some foreign object into socket #3 you don't actually electric yourself and make your hair stand straight up...

It is weird though because even though the socket is "off" I still have my brain screaming "mayday...halt...danger will robinson...danger" each and every time I dare to plug something in...

Maybe the screaming in my brain will stop someday....but for now...the lesson I learned about keys and sockets is still pretty ingrained in my memory and for me...and my adventures with the Ugandan sockets goes beyond ALL common sense

No comments: