Sunday, August 15, 2010

Muzungu...

Contrary to what most visitor's to Uganda think...the term "muzungu" isn't really a compliment...sorry to break it to you if you bought one of the "muzungu" shirts at the craft markets...BUT the truth is...

While most white people take it to mean just simply "white person", that is not quite an accurate translation of the word...

What it really means, based on conversations I have had with some of my Ugandan friends, is roughly "obnoxious rich white person"

AND I have to say, its not something I really enjoy being called.

Most of the time, you will see young children yelling "muzungu" to a white person with their hand held out...a sign they are wanting a little extra spending cash that day.

As a year long resident of Uganda, I was pleasantly surprised when the young children on the end of my road stopped calling me a muzungu a few months ago and now just greet me when I drive by with a smile, a wave and a "hi" or "bye"...a sign that I am being more and more accepted in the community here and I love it!!

The thing that bugs me...is the one "christian" guy who enjoys doing business with the white missionary folk because he can rip them off...my goal this next year or so...

Is to get him to stop greeting me by the name muzungu...honestly...that would really make me one happy camper!

No comments: