Saturday, May 8, 2010

Refrigerator Surprises...

I don't know if I have ever blogged about Alema or not BUT she is WONDERFUL!

Alema works for me at my house on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and works at my neighbors place on Monday and Thursday...

She is a great help to me...hand washing all my clothes, scrubbing mud off my shoes, ironing, dusting, mopping, and all those domestic duties that seem to take 8 times longer here than in the US.

So twice a week I come home to a nice clean place and then there are Mondays and Thursdays...on those days, I don't come home to a freshly cleaned place but I usually find some goodies in my refrigerator...Alema usually comes over sometime during the day and puts an avocado or some jack fruit there for me to munch on when I get home from work.

I love it! Its a great reminder that I am loved and cared for!

In addition to being a great reminder, it is humbling to me at the same time. See, while Alema is employed 4 days a week, she still only makes about $20 a week...that's about $80 a month.

With this $80 she not only supports herself, but her daughter as well. They live in the slums of Gaba and still, she manages to bring me goodies...Her generosity amazes me and humbles me constantly.

I pray that someday I will be able to be as loving, giving, and caring as Alema. She is a real life example to me of the widow who joyfully gave, not out of her wealth but out of her poverty.

No comments: