Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Uganda's Ministry of Works and Transport

Part of me wonders why all of our government agencies are called "Ministries of...."

The Ministry of Internal Affairs...
The Ministry of Public Roads and Safety...
The Ministry of Works and Transport...
etc, etc, etc...

It seems like every time I go to one of these so called "ministries" I am anything BUT ministered too...haha!

The Ministry of Internal Affairs...was in charge of my visa which took 6 months of processing, multiple trips to the bank, the photo copier, ARM offices, etc...6 months and about 50 new gray hairs later, I had my work visa.

The Ministry of Public Roads and Safety...in charge of keeping our roads drivable...I think have overlooked the access road to my house...it seems like every time it rains our road resembles the grand canyon just a little bit more...My poor neighbors can no longer drive down the road in their sudans as they get stuck and bottom out each time they attempt to get out of their houses...

The Ministry of Works and Transport...the place to get a license seemed to be an exception to my "ministry" rule...I went in one day last week, and within 2 hours had paid and gotten the process started...come back in one week...Okay...this is easy!

Well...that's what I thought...so I came in a week later and took my photo...this was really easy!

Until the following day when my friend was looking at my permit and started laughing...what?? I know my picture is bad...no reason to laugh right?

Wrong...not only was my address typed in wrong, but so was my gender...Requiring yet another trip back to the office...which is about 45 minutes away in traffic...

I think I got it all sorted out yesterday on yet my 3rd trip but in 1 week I have to return to get the permanent one...I have to say...I'm leery of the outcome...I'll keep you posted!

No comments: